Adventures of a tiny Squirrel and her friends...

This is our life.

Monday 2 January 2012

Welcome 2012

I hope you all had an amazing New Year's Eve and that your 2012 is off to a pleasant start. Our first New Year's Eve as a little family was different than NYE's past but really fun, no less. We spent the evening and countdown with a couple of other little families, ate lovely, yummy treats and had a little sleepover party.

Teddy preparing a special little NYE treat to share with our friends.

OLIVE PENGUINS!!!!

We got the idea here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-cheese-penguins/

Aren't they cute???!!!


We spent the first  morning of 2012 feasting on delicious waffles and bacon and guzzling coffee. I've learned the hard way that parents really pay for late nights when babies want to party at 7am or earlier the next day. Autumn snuggled with us in bed from about 5am onwards and woke her daddy up by smacking him repeatedly across the face around 7am...Fun! I managed to convince her that it was a good idea to nurse and nap for another hour or so but there was no stopping her after that...Hence the guzzling of the coffee. We actually really love her morning antics. She's so much fun and has so much energy. One of my new year's resolutions is to take a little lesson from her about  morning pma. haha!

In honour of our New Year's Day brekkie, I thought I would dedicate this entry to waffles. I have been trying to gain 10-15lbs for the last 6 months or so. Breastfeeding has taken a bit of a toll on my body and it's been really difficult to regulate my weight. I'm naturally a thin woman but am feeling and looking pretty undernourished these days so I've been trying to find healthy ways to add calories to my diet and have found full fat dairy to be my best pal--particiularly cottage cheese. It's pretty hard sometimes as a mom of a busy little baby girl, to find time to prepare a nutrient and calorie rich snack or meal so having a fridge and freezer stocked with quick and easy items is super helpful. Waffles are great for this--They are freezable and easy to pop in the toaster for a quick and nutritious little bite when you need it. My new favourite waffle recipe is SO NUTRITIOUS and packed with healthy calories for us breastfeeding mamas who need the extra fat. You can make them with low-fat cottage cheese if you don't want the calories--it won't hurt the delicious factor :-)

The original recipe is from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook but I have made a few little alterations here and there to accommodate my need for fat and extra nutrients. Here we go!

Cottage Cheese Apple Pancakes/Waffles

4 eggs separated (I use the yolks and sometimes need a little extra flour to get the right consistency but you could leave the yolks out if you want to lighten the recipe)
1 cup high fat cottage cheese (low fat is ok too)
1 cup grated apple (squashed up banana works even better!)
3/4 cup flour (quinoa flour is a good alternative for added nutrients or if you're looking to cook gluten-free)
1-2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp crushed walnuts or almonds for added crunch
1 tsp vanilla extract
butter for frying if you're using a pan or skillet

1. Beat egg whites until stiff
2. Mix together all other ingredients (except butter)
3. Fold in eggwhites
4. Cook 'em up!


I buy the Liberte Coconut yogurt (which is like 11% MF) and dump a bunch on top with some hemp hearts and chia seeds...and maple syrup too...(yeah, I like 'em sweet!) But you are free to get creative with your own toppings.

Autumn really likes these waffles too though she enjoys them without the mess of toppings.

That's all I've got for now, friends. Happy waffling!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!

    I have the opposite problem...when nursing it is very hard for my body to let fat go! I hope you feel better soon. Are you still taking prenatal vitamins? I take them still as well as extra D3 and omegas. I had ground flax seeds to whatever I can and another thing that might help you is a good quality protein shake. They are easy, quick, filling and a good sourse of extra calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miranda:
    Yep, still taking vitamins and tons of omegas. I have been researching a good meal replacement to add to my diet and hope to pick up some VEGA this week. I like the idea of having a smoothie readily available at all times for a swig here and there throughout the day. I have ground flax in my cupboard and I always forget to add it to my food. AGH! I'll try to keep it in mind--good advice! xx

    ReplyDelete