Adventures of a tiny Squirrel and her friends...

This is our life.

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Baby Sign

I thought I would post a little update on our progress with baby sign. This was something that we started working on when Autumn was 4 months old...It took a while, but we are really reaping the benefits now. Autumn can sign for "milk", "more" and she can let us know when she is "all done" eating, bathing, playing, etc. I felt like those three were the most important signs for her to know: "milk", "more" and "all done". We are also working on "water", "drink", "hungry", "eat" and "dirty diaper".  Teddy and I are also trying to teach her some manners with the signs for "please" and "thank you" but so far we haven't had any luck with those. I think we successfully mastered "hot" the other day when squish put her fat little hand on the base board radiator. I guess that's one way to learn...My poor little bub :( yikes! Anyway, I just wanted to put it out there that baby sign has been an incredibly useful tool for communicating with a person whose verbal skills are, well...there really aren't any verbal skills to be had. haha! I shouldn't say that. Squish can say mama, dada, nose (which actually sounds more like nay) and hi. She's very smart. She has also started dancing this past week...Which is pretty much the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life. She's all head and is really kind of spastic in her movements. But she is definitely dancing! Haha! My graceful little squish.
Anyhew, baby sign has taught me that babies understand a whole lot more than what we give them credit for. If you are interested in learning more about baby sign, this website has a lot of useful information. I intended from the get-go to sign up for a course with Autumn but never got around to it and have managed just fine. I think a course would be beneficial if you were interested in learning more than just a few basic little signs like we have done and there is no shortage of classes in Vancouver as well as instructors who do in-home tutorials.
Good luck, mamas! Happy signing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment